Wednesday, January 19, 2011

More photos along old Route 66


Much of the city of Tulsa was built during the Art Deco period in the 1920s and 30s. Some of it can be seen along old Route 66, like this building. I was playing with the Nikon N6006 in the matrix metering mode just to see how it responded. I'm pleased with the results.
This is possibly an old filling station surrounded by newer construction. These steeply pitched roofs are common in both business and residential building throughout Tulsa. Again, since this scene is largely backlit, I wanted to see how the metering handled it.

This is a filling station in Owasso. The exposure worked out well and the autofocus operated properly in the low light.


This one has lots of contrast, making the focusing job easier for the camera.

This is our most senior cat, Mittens, who is about 19 years old. It was taken in the living room as she sat on the arm of the sofa. The lens was probably wide open and the shutter speed was fairly low. The depth of field is very shallow. Mittens doesn't move around much, though I was lucky to catch her awake. At her age, the day consists of eating, dozing in the sun, or sleeping on the sofa.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger David Thompson said...

Nice shot of the Tulsa Monuments building (I think) at the top of your blog. Good stuff.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Yep, that's the Tulsa Monuments building. The camera actually exposed it properly for all that white rather than trying to make it an 18% gray image.

The Tulsa City County Library has a database of old photos that includes many from Route 66. I'm thinking about trying to identify buildings that still exist from those old photos. It will take some time but I don't have much free time at present.

9:35 PM  
Blogger The Donut Guy said...

I love that style of architecture...19 year old cat?

She doesn't look that old :-)

7:20 AM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Mittens is indeed 19, George. She was a stray that just showed up on the doorstep and settled in quickly. But she's frail now. She weighs only about 5 pounds and she's very particular about her food. The vet said that their sense of smell is the last to go, and if they can't smell the food, they won't eat it. She stumbles sometimes, can't hear or see well, and howls loudly if she thinks she's all alone in the house. I know she's reaching the last of her days, and I'll truly miss her when she's gone.

As for the Art Deco architecture, there's a lot of it here. I have a book on Tulsa's Art Deco treasurers...somewhere...I'll post a link to it if I find it. There's also some planning underway for an Art Deco museum. The downtown area is especially rich. I'll be doing more photography there later this year.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home