Sunday, July 25, 2010

Canon ELPH LT



I bought a Canon ELPH LT for Mary some years ago. She used it a few times, but eventually it ended up on a bookshelf gathering dust. I was impressed with the camera's performance back then, but as a sufficiently experienced husband, I knew better than to take her camera and use it. I only look dumb.

So it was a pleasant surprise to find this blue ELPH sitting in the local Goodwill store. I bought it for one entire dollar and the battery is still good! The other camera is my Canon A590IS. The ELPH is smaller.

Finding APS film is a little harder, though. A local drugstore carries it, but they were temporarily out of stock. One of the personnel said they did have the special negative carrier for APS, so there's one other worry gone. APS is a smaller format than 35mm, roughly 2/3 the size, and the film offers three different aspect ratios including panoramas. The Canon has a 23mm lens that focuses via an infrared range finder, and it will focus as close as 2 feet.

I'll post some photos when I get some film through this camera.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger anaglyph said...

You might like to see if the Elph is hackable with the CHDK. Amazing utility if so...

3:59 PM  
Blogger anaglyph said...

Oooooooops.... Elph is pre-digital. Silly me!

3:59 PM  
Blogger anaglyph said...

And, in contrast to your good self, I AM dumb!

4:00 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Don't feel bad. People have mistaken both the Canon ELPH and the Olympus XA2 for digital cameras. Canon made (or makes) a digital ELPH too and to make the issue even more confusing, there's a APS-C imaging sensor as well. If I remember right, the sensor is the same size as an APS negative. I'm hoping that my next digital camera will be either micro four thirds or the APS-C format. Photokina is next month, so all the new stuff will be showcased there.

In all honesty, I prefer the XA2 for a pocket camera. It's clearly not as sophisticated as the ELPH, but I can find 35mm film a little more easily.

Coming soon: another Yashica Electro 35 with the auxiliary wide angle and telephoto lenses, as well as the teardown of a Yashica MG-1 that will be going to my daughter.

4:38 PM  
Blogger anaglyph said...

I think I have a little XA-2 in the cupboard somewhere. That was the one that had the little optional flash that screwed onto the side, right? It was a great littel camera. I travelled all over the US with it a ways back.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

I have both an XA and an XA2. The XA has a nice rangefinder and a little faster lens, I think, but I fumbled it one day and after the impact with the tiled floor in the kitchen, it didn't work again. The XA2 uses a simpler zone focus. My original plan was to keep one of them in my cargo pants along with a digital camera too. But most of the summer, I've ended up carrying a digital and the Yashica Electro 35 GT. The GT is bulky and heavy, but it really does have a fantastic lens.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home