Friday, June 18, 2010

Konica Auto S2

Yep, another rangefinder! This is from roughly the early to mid-1960s if I remember right, and it's very similar to the Canon Canonet in that it offers both manual and aperture-priority operation. The 45mm f1.8 lens has a built-in hood. It appears to be in very good condition. The rangefinder is just a little cloudy, which is expected in a camera this old, but it will benefit from some light cleaning - probably after I've run a roll of film through it!


I like cameras that offer both manual and automatic modes because you never know when a battery may give out. With a light meter or by applying the Sunny 16 rule, I still have the capability to take good exposures. That scale to the right of the accessory shoe is the light meter. I haven't put a fresh battery in to see if it works.


My only quibble is that the battery cover was over torqued once. You can just make out the divots where the coin cammed up and out, taking part of the plastic cover away. No problem, though, as I took it out with a pin spanner. And I know where I can get another S2 for parts.

I bought this from a seller on Ebay. He said the camera worked and he'd replaced the seals. That appears to be true, so it saves me a job. It also has a name lightly inscribed in the rear of the top cover. "E. Konstant 3-29-37." I'd assume the latter is a birthdate. So, if Mr. Konstant is out there anywhere, just know that I have your old camera and I'll take good care of it. I'm not a collector, so expect that this one will be used frequently. Still, you took good care of this one. I will too.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve A said...

Your Konica post makes me think again about doing something with my Monkey Ward which is also really a Konica.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Ed W said...

This camera is surprisingly solid, Steve, about as heavy as a Yashica Electro and about as large. The meter isn't working, so I'll have to look for a bad connection.

I came across the Wards cameras when one popped up on the Goodwill auction site. I'll admit to temptation, but I've already bought 2 cameras in the last week or so. She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed might tolerate more, but I'm not going to push the issue.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home