Sunday, December 28, 2008

Food! Glorious food!


(CycleDog photo. Some rights reserved under a Creative Commons license.)

A photo of our table at Christmas really doesn't do this justice. You need to smell the bread baking as well as the ham in the oven. The photo was taken just before the table was loaded with food and that ravenous horde (my family) arrived to destroy it. Even now my stomach growls in anticipation, because the left over ham is in the crock pot with Lima beans, and there's more bread baking in the machine.

My Dad wouldn't eat ham and Lima beans. He called it 'depression food' as he and his family ate far too much of it during the Great Depression. Mary and I think of it as simple comfort food, a reminder of family and friends who are far away. That's certainly appropriate at this time of year.

On New Year's, we'll have pork and sauerkraut, another family tradition. Here in Oklahoma, the traditional meal is beans and cornbread, and although I like it, Jordan and I are the only cornbread fans in the family. Cornbread with jalapenos....mmmmmmm.

And since CycleDog is nominally about cycling, think of this as an easy way to get some big carbs for those early January rides.


2 Comments:

Blogger Ron George said...

Seems like a luxurious little meal. Its been sometimes since I've seen golden spoons. Happy New Year.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed wanted white china with gold rims once upon a time. I bought them, and realized that they were not microwave or dishwasher safe. Consequently, I resolved to be the dishwasher whenever we used them. She wanted gold flatware too. The stuff you see is merely gold toned. I don't know what metal they used, but it will tarnish if it's not dried carefully. Naturally, it's not dishwasher safe either.

Our everyday stuff is stoneware and stainless steel. We'll have a big dinner tonight, so maybe I'll get a shot of that too. Any excuse to use the new hi-def camera is a good one! Mary isn't happy with the stoneware, though, because it chips and cracks far too easily. We've had it only since Mother's Day. I had some Pfaltzgraf that was far more durable.

Happy New Year to all!

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home