Thursday, May 01, 2008

Thursday Musette...



Tulsa Tough Kids Challenge

We did the last of the 'classroom' portions of the Kids Challenge events on Monday. Ren practically skipped out of the auditorium afterward, exclaiming, “We're done with the boring part!” She was giddy.


I watched the crowd during the Safe Escape presentation put on by the Crime Commission. It's meant to teach kids to avoid abduction. Surprisingly, every kid in the room was watching the video, but some of their parents were not.


The LCI group delivered a fairly tight presentation, after we'd muffed a few things in the first two. We learned from our mistakes and didn't repeat them. Who knows? If we did another two or three of these we could even look professional. But the Crime Commission show was a difficult one to follow. It was very slick and the pacing was superb.



My bike to work

It's been very windy the last couple of days. When I left work yesterday, the wind was so strong it propelled me north along Mingo Road at 20 mph! I wasn't pedaling, and even if I could, 20 mph is well above my rev limit on the single speed.


Naturally, I paid dearly for all that fun this morning, grinding along into a 20 to 25 mph headwind. That's one good reason to have a low gear on a single speed beater bike. It was just like riding uphill for seven miles. I was whupped when I got to work, but at least I didn't fall asleep. The Bianchi San Remo may be a better choice when facing a stiff headwind, but it doesn't have fenders. Our weather report was calling for rain. Of course, the rain has held off until this evening. I'm watching a line of severe storms forming off to our west. It's gonna be a bumpy night.



Overtime

The company is calling for a ton of overtime this month. The planners want 70% of our units off the shelf and into the field by the first of June. Our supervisor said we need to add 15 people to do the work, but they're not bringing in another 15 people. Instead, the rest of us get to work our butts off to the tune of 58 hours per week. That's a lot of overtime. That's some BIG paychecks!


Mary has already decided that the extra cash will go toward home improvements, like new windows. Dunno if it will cut into my writing.




And finally...meatballs...on a stick.

This just popped into my head earlier today. Meatballs on a stick, served with spaghetti sauce or covered with melted cheese. I thought of it just before lunch. Imagine that.


Gotta shut down here. Storms are coming in fast.

3 Comments:

Blogger brother yam said...

Meatballs on a stick wrapped in noodles and then deep-fried. Sounds like a winner to me...

8:35 AM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

If I didn't read this immediately after a fast 22 mile ride into work I'm sure deep fried meatballs would sound wonderful. Bleh.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Meatballs, noodles....pastafarians...sounds like a skewering of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

...and Fritz, I wasn't thinking about typical redneck cuisine, which is deep-fried ANYTHING on a stick. I was thinking about grilled meatballs, or even roasted ones, served with cheese and sauce on the side. Sounds like a perfect snack food to go with a cold beer.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home