Wednesday, February 13, 2008

From the "Why didn't I think of that?" file...

Here's an astoundingly simple idea....kinetic powered pedals with LEDs. No batteries, ever, and they run for 5 minutes after you've stopped. Granted, they don't have a lot of power, but the human eye is very sensitive to motion at low light levels, so they should provide good visibility.

Still, with the dollar tanking, the asking price of 35 pounds may be a bit steep.


(LINK)

Pedalites are the latest cycling phenomenon and are, to put it bluntly, uber cool. These kinetic energy powered (no batteries, ever!) 360 degree light-up pedals simply replace your boring old pedals, and light your feet up like a Christmas tree. As well as standard reflectors, the pedals have three integral bright LEDs, one facing forwards, one backwards, and one sidewards - or rather sideways. As you pedal, kinetic energy powers up the LED’s which flash brightly away, and the great thing about these is that this energy is stored in the pedals, so even as you free wheel or stop at a crossing (of course you do…) the pedals continue to flash for up to five minutes!

I’d definitely feel safer having a pair of these on my bicycle. What’s £34.99 when it comes to preventing an accident?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger spacepiggy said...

saw something similar at ProBike in OKC a few years back - unfortunately not SPD or Look compatible - tempted to get some Keds and go retro...

7:35 AM  
Blogger Stacey Jo said...

Converse work well and come in adult sizes. Me and the Calypso are retro, and my kids think I am cool. I would be cooler with these pedals.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

I keep a pair of Converse sneakers at work, Stacey. They're a wonder when my feet hurt. But in size 13, the look like clown shoes! It's against company rules to wear them, but if I'm sitting at my bench, no one knows.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home