Thursday, January 03, 2008

Decapitating cyclists - UPDATE

Parris' apology:

I offended many with my Christmas attack on cyclists. It was meant humorously but so many cyclists have taken it seriously that I plainly misjudged. I am sorry.

(LINK)

When I suggested that Mr. Parris be gut shot and left to die on a lonely country road, I intended it as humor too. Probably.

Someone told me once that women forgive but never forget, and men forget but never forgive. It may go a long way toward explaining the hair trigger temper some cyclists have. Basically, they're conditioned by long exposure to hostility just as a football lineman is similarly conditioned. They don't have to think or consider consequences. They merely react explosively as a result of hundreds or thousands of previous conflicts.

Mr. Parris initiated a hostile conflict and I had a visceral reaction that was as ritualistic and stylized as kabuki theater. I have to learn not to do that. Assholes like Parris will be with us always, and they'll always be assholes. I can do better.

My thanks to both Fritz and Dave Moulton for breaking this story.