Saturday, May 12, 2007

Old Cameras - OT




As you can see, I like old cameras too.

There are 2 Rolleicord IV's, probably manufactured in the 1950s or early 60s. When I want high-quality results on film, I use the Rolleis. There's also a Voigtlander Bessa folding camera in medium (6x6) format. I bought it at a yard sale and used it a few times until the shutter froze. If I had to have a travel camera, I'd strongly consider repairing it. Sure, it has a 'guestimator' for focus, but it really does take sharp photos.

That Minolta rangefinder is a clunky, heavy beast that worked well until its shutter froze too. I banged it around quite a bit and the wind lever is slightly bent now.

The bag in the background is a battered Domke F1 that has some invisible bricks somewhere deep inside. It is capable of hauling all my 35mm equipment, though not the lighting and tripods. I swear that bag made one shoulder lower than the other.

That's a Kodak electronic still camera on top. In the middle is my work horse Pentax MX with an architect screen in the viewfinder and a 50mm f 1.4 lens. The screen is scribed with a grid pattern, making it easy to line up even when I'm wearing glasses. On the right is my Yashica 'spy' camera. It's extremely quiet and unobtrusive. It replaced a much older Kodak Retina that had far more panache, but was very heavy. It was a German-made Kodak with a Schneider lens. I sold it since I'm basically foolish.

I sold my Graflex Crown Graphic too, but I don't regret it. The camera took wonderful 6x7 photos using Singer roll film backs loaded with 120. But it was a PITA to use. I much prefer the more 'modern' Rolleicords.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Apertome said...

Very cool, that's quite a collection! I haven't tried medium format photography (yet), but hopefully it's only a matter of time.

I have a Retina (forget which model), although mine isn't heavy at all. It takes pretty cool photos, and has a light leak (I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing).

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home