Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Wednesday Musette

New Year's Day

Most places have a traditional New Year's ride. I've tried to attend one every January first unless the weather has been truly atrocious or I've been ill.

Gary and Barbara Parker hosted a ride this year. David and Sandra Crisp were there, and although Gary invited my family, I was the only one who could attend. Lyndsay was working. Jordan slept late - as teenagers are prone to do. And Mary wasn't feeling very well.

To make a long story short, the womenfolk went on a 10 mile loop while us he-man types did about 20. David and Gary were on racing bikes, while I was on my ancient Pennine fixed gear. I can't help but be a technological Luddite! We had a nice ride out north of Tulsa, and fortunately I didn't die riding up the hill on Apache.

Chili and fruit awaited us at Gary's house. We sat down to a very nice lunch.

But there's always a fly in the ointment, and that brings me to...


The Osage Prairie Trail


The OPT is a rail-to-trail conversion that goes north from OSU-Tulsa to Skiatook. I've ridden it a few times, but hadn't been over that way for months. The trail was completed just last year, so the pavement is in very good condition. It's smooth and fast - or it should be fast. The problem is numerous patches of broken glass. I'd be afraid to travel at speed on this trail because it would be far more difficult to dodge all the shards.

I screwed up, too. I slowed at an intersection, concentrating on a car to my left. I didn't notice one to the right and I stopped abruptly when I finally did. Gary wasn't able to get a foot down and he toppled over, narrowly missing a bollard and some huge chunks of a broken bottle. His tumble was my fault as I didn't give him any warning.

Like many urban trails, the OPT collects broken glass and other debris. If the trail is to remain usable, it needs regular maintenance. It needs to be swept clean now and then, or cyclists will avoid it. And that would be a tragic loss because this trail could provide a growth corridor for small businesses. I already know where to find ice cream in Skiatook, for instance, and similar businesses could attract cyclists as well.


Bicycle Maintenance and Repair Class

Tulsa Technology Center has this in the spring catalog:

NEW Bicycle Care and Maintenance SPIN-3501

Bicycle ridership and enjoyment are rising, and with good reason - advances in technology and materials are making bikes faster, safer, and more enjoyable.
Sometimes a simple turn of a wrench can make the difference between leading the pack or packing it in. Learn how to get the most from your two-wheeled experiences, and how to care for and maintain your machine. 8 hours. $45.00
RS S400 Staff 04/04/07-04/25/07 06:00PM-08:00PM W 4

Enroll with Visa or MC online at www.tulsatech.com or call 828-5100



And finally...Midget Strippers!

We were passing one of Tulsa's "gentleman's clubs" on Saturday evening. It had a huge lighted marquee out near the street with "Midget Strippers" done up in big letters. Mary and Lyndsay were giggling uncontrollably about it, until I said, "It's a really short act that's easily overlooked." They groaned and rolled their eyes, but the giggling fits came back from time to time for the rest of the evening.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

Midget strippers???? There's a strip joint that actually features short women?

5:33 PM  
Blogger Paul Tay said...

While the High Priests of Tulsa's Church of Cycling enjoy their little OPT outing, Santa and gang rolled Memorial Raceway, doing their damnest best to piss off cute chicks chatting incessantly on their cellphone while DRIVING, with this sign: HANG UP AND DRIVE BITCH.

Santa don't preach to the choir. He preaches to LEPERS.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Paul Tay said...

Midget strippers, B-Chicker, and Santa. Welcome to Tulsa. Just DON'T drink the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCxmaw1UIh0

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home