Thursday, August 03, 2006

I'm soooo confused...

"Do cats eat bats...Do bats eat cats?"...Lewis Carroll

One of my co-workers rushed through the shop this morning.

"Gas is going up 14 cents today!" She was slightly breathless, and more than a little indignant that the price would hit the near-magical $3.00 per gallon mark.

I was somewhat blase about it. "Just dont' BUY it!" I advised. "If you don't buy it, the price will eventually come down."

She didn't want to hear this. "Buy less gas? Are you CRAZY? I have to get to work. I have to drive to the church and grocery store. I have to see my grandbabies! I can't buy less gas!"

She drives an enormous old Cadillac. It's pristine, almost like a concours show car. She lavishes attention on it. She really can't imagine life without an automobile.

But another story is foremost in the news these days. Sure, gas prices are a pain-in-the-ass, but the tinderbox in the Middle East is a bigger, far more ominous story.

Hezbollah has been raining missiles down onto northern Israel for weeks. Allegedly, the missiles are coming from Iran. It's doubtful Hezbollah could pay for that many, so it's likely the Iranians are providing them to be used in a proxy war against the hated Israelis. Iran can afford to be generous. Their oil income provides plenty of funds for building missiles and acquiring the crucial parts.

This is where it gets weird.

Most of that oil wealth comes from the developed world. In effect, since oil is a global market, we're providing the Iranians with the money to conduct that proxy war. We're putting gasoline into our big gas-hole vehicles, and by doing that, we're supporting terorists. We're indirectly responsible for the missile attacks against Israel.

But we're on the Israeli's side in this.

"Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying' she said: 'One can't believe impossible things.' 'I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"............Lewis Carroll, "Through The Looking Glass"

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul Tay said...

Oh brother. Yer jest being whiny. There's no confusion. NOBODY really cares that WWIII is about to break out, as long as we don't have to fork out our next paycheck just to fill-up.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

I had almost the same exact conversation with my dad last night WRT to high gasoline prices and how we fund Iran's support of Hezbollah. (Except my dad drives a tiny little Japanese car when he drives at all, and my parents' home is powered and heated and cooled almost completely with solar and wind.)

4:57 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Speaking of gas holes... you might enjoy this:
http://theointment.com/?m=20060821

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home