Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A man who makes...crepes

We're tying to get Lyndsay to eat a lot of complex carbs in order to restore her strength and energy.

Over the weekend I went to our local farmer's market looking for fresh fruit. I came back with zucchini, yellow squash, and some peppers, but I told one of the women I really wanted some peaches. "Oh, you should have been here LAST week!" she said.

"Well, actually I was here last week, and I bought some peaches. I want some more because they're my daughter's favorite. I made crepes on Sunday, stuffed them with fresh peaches and cream cheese, and then sprinkled some powdered sugar on top."

"Crepes? A man who makes crepes for breakfast?" She was incredulous. "What time is breakfast tomorrow?"

When I was single, I never thought of becoming a great cook as a way to lure women. Too soon old, too late smart.

I'm the breakfast cook here at our unstately mansion. I can turn out pancakes, waffles, French toast, crepes, and a couple versions of eggs. I have a magic pancake bowl that was most likely a factory second from Shenango China and I've been lugging it around for over 25 years. It's a piece of stoneware, lopsided and probably more oval than round, but it's produced thousands of pancakes. I use an old cast iron griddle too. I cherish both of them.

Who knows - maybe I'll try to make quiche someday, but I'll have to learn how to make a good piecrust first.

3 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

Good luck getting her to eat! When I had glandular fever (as it's called in the UK) about 10 years ago, I stayed in bed for almost a month and a half, and all I could get down was sports drinks. Perhaps some fruit smoothies might be worth a try? All I wanted to do was drink cold liquids to soothe my throat.

It took me the best part of a year to fully recover, too. I still have problems from it even now; I used to be able to stay awake for 2-3 days at a time, now I'm lucky to stay awake for more than 20 hours.

I hope she recovers soon!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

I second the suggestion for fruit smoothies. Is there anything like Jamba Juice or IntaJuice in Tulsa?

Pie crusts -- just buy the ready-made ones from the store like everybody else does.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Philip Williamson said...

Good pie crust: cold butter, ice water and a light touch with the Cuisinart.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home