Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Just riding along...

I was just riding along to work yesterday morning. Nothing special. The sun was shining down through the pecan trees as I turned south and into the wind.

The wind was steady, but not so high that I had to work hard going into it. Let’s just say it was enough that I could feel it in the legs. I selected a gear I could spin and just kept grinding away.

The trouble came at the Bird Creek bridge. The approach rises about 50 feet, not a steep climb, but with the wind in my face it felt steeper. The easy way to do this is to bob up out of the saddle and keep the tempo up.

I was just riding along, enjoying the morning. I’d forgotten that the cycling shorts I wore had a tendency to snag over the nose of the saddle. Sure enough, I popped up out of the saddle, and my shorts remained at, shall we say, half-mast. Gentle breezes blew over parts of my anatomy that seldom experience gentle breezes. Not in public, anyway.

I sat back down very quickly! And in an astounding feat of coordination and agility, I managed to pull the shorts up over the exposed skin without stopping or even slowing down. It’s truly amazing what we can do in a pinch, or a mild state of panic, even.

Still, it could have been worse. Imagine the scene if my favorite TCSO deputy had been behind me. I’d be posting this from the county lockup!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Donut Guy said...

Or worse yet, you might be squealing like Ned Beatty if your favorite officer saw you like that:-)

5:06 AM  
Blogger hereNT said...

Don't try that on a fixed gear :D

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home