Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Photographer arrested for not warning pothole victim

Sure, the photographer was an ass, but it's also a cautionary tale for cyclists. Don't ride into water! You can't see what lies under it! Duh!

Follow the link for the photo! (As an aside, I'll tell you that I have to learn how to put photos in CycleDog. My Luddite leanings are against it, but it's another step I'll have to take. My friend Wade gave me a digital still camera for my birthday. You know he's part of the family, because he came over for breakfast on Christmas morning, and since he was going to be here all day, he wore slippers!)

From Boing Boing

Photographer arrested for not warning pothole victim

By Mark Frauenfelder

A photographer in China was accused of lying in wait to take these pictures of a poor guy riding his bike into a pothole.

Readers of the Beijing Youth Daily, which published the shots, wrote in to express their feelings.
One wrote: "The pictures are well shot, but the person who shot this is disgusting. He knew there was a pit, but was waiting there for someone to fall over."

Liu defended himself, saying: "I just knew that the city government has paved the pit, and without my pictures, the pit would not be noticed by the government, and there would perhaps be more people falling over."

1 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

In a way, this is sort of like those war photographers on the front lines, you know, those "photojournalists" who just stand there while people get killed or while kids starve, and just take their pictures rather than pitching in and helping.

Granted, this guy is more of a jerk for being an opportunist, but he's probably got some of the same DNA as those others.

Also, you're right, the cyclists should know to: 1. ride with both hands 2. Don't ride through puddles! (I know, I know, mountain bikers are encouraged for many reasons to ride through puddles, but when you're on the street, the reasons for that start to make much less sense... so just go around!)

It's amazing that so much can be derived from one little picture.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home