Monday, November 28, 2005

My favorite Martian...

I just got back home after being abducted by aliens - again. I hate it when they do that.

It happened early this morning as I rode to work. The sonic boom alerted me to the presence of yet another alien space craft entering the atmosphere. They cleverly concealed their flying saucer behind the pecan grove and waited until there were no cars in sight. Then they pounced!

My bicycle and I were whisked up into an open hatch on the underside of the saucer. It happened so fast I didn't even get my feet out of the clips! Since I was still pedalling, I went careening across the cargo deck where I knocked down a couple of aliens, and crashed into the tractor beam control panel. The little green men were dazed, so I quickly reversed the controls on the panel to send me back down to Earth. My crash had broken off several handles, but with the aid of my trusty Campagnolo 'peanut butter' wrench - a tool seemingly designed to do nearly everything - I performed some quick repairs and made my escape!

And I wasn't even late for work. Imagine that.

==========

Actually, I spent entirely too much time in front of the television set this weekend, watching an endless series of sci-fi movies. Hence the 'favorite Martians' bit above. The Ford is still in the shop, so the whole family was here most of the time. Number One Daughter was having withdrawal symptoms since she couldn't go shopping. On Saturday, my friend Wade loaned us his Chevy Blazer. Mom and daughter were promptly out the door.

Sunday afternoon was a little scary. The wind came out of the south in the morning at about 20 mph. It steadily increased, with 60 mph gusts by mid-afternoon. The oak tree in the front yard was tilted over so far I was afraid it might uproot and fall. Another tree toppled over down the street. A neighbor lost a good portion of his roof. There was a tornado watch just north of us. I watched as toys, leaves, garbage cans, and anything not firmly nailed down went flying up the street.

And all I could think about was what a lovely day for a tailwind ride! I would have been in Kansas in a very short time! How sick is THAT!

1 Comments:

Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

We sometimes time rides in Colorado to chinooks coming down from the mountains. Those winds can reach over 100 mph in the city of Boulder. We get the tailwind, then after a couple of hours when the wind stops we turn around and go back home.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home